July 22, 2012

McMillans - Round 24

Charity had figured out by Fletcher's lessening phone calls that he must not be interested in her anymore.  She guessed there was a lot between them... he'd gone off to college while she'd stayed at home to... to what?  To get married! To have a family!  

So what was she waiting for?

"Charity, I'd like you to meet Jace.  Based upon your preferences, he is extremely compatible," the matchmaker encouraged.

Blushing, Charity shook his hand.  He was quite handsome & so mature!

He seemed just perfect! Charity thought happily.  Over the next months, they enjoyed a whirlwind romance.

 "So your young man.. err... Jace... seems very nice," Lindsay said over dinner.  "How are things going?"

"Fine," Charity replied.

Chance rolled his eyes.  "What your Mother is trying to ask is: We're concerned about the age difference."

"Dad!" Charity yelped. "That's so rude!"

Chance dismissed her offense with a wave of his hand.  "You're our daughter & we're looking out for you.  I don't want to see you taken advantage of."

"It's not like that Dad! We're in love!"

At least, Charity was.  And she was pretty sure Jace was, as well.  He called all the time & was always anxious to see her again.

 And they had an amazing time, no matter what they were doing!

Sighing, Charity closed the couples counseling book.  She'd been hoping that Jace would've proposed by now.  She was looking for a husband and a father... not someone that wanted to date forever!

 And with a sinking feeling, Charity realized Jace needed to step up... and quick...

 (Cut little puppy GiGi)

Mom & Dad were driving Charity crazy.  She could hear them whispering in the other room about what to do about her.  As if they had to do anything about her!  She was an adult! And she wasn't going to pressure Jace into marrying her. He had to want to marry her!

They just didn't understand...

"Honey, we just don't understand.  Do you need Daddy to talk to them?" Lindsay asked.  

"No! Please! Just let me handle it! I'm fine! It's going to be okay!" Charity told them.  "Please just back off!"

 Charity finally worked up the nerve one night.  "Umm, Jace, what do you imagine for us in the future?"

Jace smiled. "Well I think things are pretty wonderful right now.  I think we're great together."

"Yeah, but what if I wanted more..."

"More? There's no need to rush this relationship," Jace hesitated.

"Umm... maybe we should go inside and talk," Charity said with a sinking feeling in her stomach.

 "You're pregnant?!" Jace asked.  "Are you sure it's mine?"

Charity grimaced.  "Yes, I'm sure.  I hadn't been seeing anyone before we got together... or you know... after..."

Jace patted her hand.  "I didn't mean to imply. But, wow! I don't know how I feel.  I've already done the father thing... I don't know if I have it in me to raise another child!"

"I know and I didn't mean for this to happen!" Charity said sadly.  She knew that Jace had an ex-wife and two or three children that mostly didn't talk to him.  Apparently the divorce had not been amicable after he'd left.  But, he'd told her all about how needy his ex was.  So, she was determined to be the opposite of that to prove how much she cared for him!

It was just hard...

"Maybe we should talk about this tomorrow? she said weakly.  "I need to go lay down anyway.  I'm exhausted so early these days!"

After a quick kiss goodbye, Jace walked out the door & Charity wondered if they would see him again. 

Welcome to the world little boy JJ

 "We were just wondering if you've heard from Jace lately," Lindsay asked nonchalantly.

"No! I haven't.  Okay?  He left after I told him I was pregnant and I wasn't good enough for him!" Charity exploded.  "Are you happy now?"

"Did he say that? That you weren't good enough for him?" Chance demanded.  "I'll tell him a thing or two!"

"No Dad, he didn't say that," Charity sighed.  "I'm just so.... ugh... I don't want to talk about it.  It'll work out."

"Ignoring the problem doesn't make it go away," Lindsay advised.  "Have you asked him to come over and see JJ?"

Charity hedged.  She hadn't invited him over. She didn't care if it was childish... she wanted Jace to come on his own to see them!

But, maybe it was time to swallow her pride and call him....

Jace hugged her tightly.  "I'm so glad you called!" he said as he held her.  "I've missed you.  You look amazing."

"Yeah, it's amazing what delivering a baby can do," she said a little snidely.

Jace sighed.  "I deserved that.  I'm sorry I haven't come sooner.  I... well... I had to work things out in my head.  May I see him?"

Charity relented.  "Of course, come this way."

"This is your son, JJ." 

Jace smiled.  "JJ.  What a wonderful name.  May I hold him?"

Charity smiled as she watched JJ's daddy feed him.  She was hopeful Jace's interest meant he  might be interested in being a family together, too.

Happy Birthday JJ!

Not knowing how to bring up her need for commitment and smitten with Jace's devotion to JJ, Charity fell right back into their relationship.  She didn't bring up marriage & he never mentioned moving in.  He would just stay over most weeks and come over most evenings to see his son. 

It was enough for now...

Because at least she had him now!

 Farewell Chance! You'll be missed!

Her father's death hit Charity hard.  It had seemed so unexpected! So out of the blue

Jace helplessly watched as Charity sobbed.   "Is there anything I can do?" he asked.

"Just hold me," she managed to croak out as she cried.  "Just hold me..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! I love feedback, no matter how old the post!