July 19, 2012

Goss 2 - Round 23

Violet was shocked when they stopped in front of a beautiful home.  "What are we doing here?"

"This is my place. I bought it with some savings I had."

"It's beautiful Cliff!"

Cliff was acting nervous. "Well, I'm glad you like it because... well... Come with me..."  he said, tugging on her hand.

Violet was confused by the way Cliff was acting.  When they'd driven by the Love Shack Inn downtown, she thought for sure they were going to drop in and have some seedy romance, but he'd driven right by it.

Shocked, she realized they were stopped in front of Quickie Chapel!

"Cliff?" she started to ask.

But Cliff just dropped to one knee and held out a ring.  "Marry me Violet! Forget about the rest of the family and all the baggage that they have.  This is about you and me.  I love you! I want to marry you and raise a family together!  Do you want that to?"

"I do! I do!" she said, jumping into his arms.

Cliff glanced around, but apparently it was a common enough occurrence outside of the quickie chapel to not draw any attention.

"Any doubt?" Cliff asked.

"Not a one," she whispered back as the Statue Pastor began their ceremony.

"You may now kiss the bride!"

Getting home late, Cliff called up his family to come over.  He was surprised that they'd all hurried over. 

"I have some unexpected news..." Cliff said nervously, worried his Dad would disapprove.

Amazingly, Gabe responded angrily, "Screw the Potters! They wouldn't know something good if it hit them in the nose!  Those little brats made your mother's life a living hell after she left, making her feel guilty for her life after them! Not an ounce of forgiveness, so you tell that sweet little girl that she'll probably never get it from them!"

Gabe was shocked! He'd never heard his Dad talk that way about anyone.  He guessed losing his Mom was still too close. 

Violet was nervous around his family.  She'd never heard good things about this side of the family.  Alan and Sabrina had always been vocal about what a horrible mother Lily had been for abandoning them.  Whenever she'd heard, she'd always felt awkward because if Lily had stayed... then  her Mom never would've met and fallen in love with Levi... and that was a good thing, right?

Pulling up a chair, she sat closeby as the family caught up with each other.

"It's good to have you back from college, son," Gabe told Cliff. "And married to boot!"

Violet watched Junior and Cliff joke around with each other all night long.  She could tell they'd been raised with love, just like in her own home. 

"I just don't understand why Arthur is so upset with me.  It's just not fair!"

Cliff pulled Violet into his arms.  "I know.  It sucks.  But, it's their issue, not yours.  They'll come around eventually, I'm sure of it!"

Violet sighed.  She certainly hoped so.  But, Arthur was so mad! And if Arthur said no, then Sabrina & Alan would do whatever he said.

Cliff hurried up with his breakfast before heading off to work, worried about leaving Violet home alone.  She'd been pretty down since her family hadn't returned her phone calls about getting married.

"You don't regret marrying me, do you?" Cliff asked as he stroked Violet's cheek.  He wished there was something he could do to ease her pain.

Smiling, she wrapped her arms around him.  "Not in the least!  I just wish we'd found each other sooner!"

He didn't think life could get any better.

But it definitely could.  When Violet told him they were expecting a baby, he was over the moon happy.  He felt like he could've climbed to the top of the roof & called out his joyous news!

"But, Arthur... I just wanted to..." Violet tried to hurry and tell him the news.

*click*

"He hung up!" she cried.  "I can't believe he's being like this!"

Cliff pulled Violet into his arms.  "I'm sorry, love.  This baby is going to be plenty loved!"

And Violet knew he was right.  At the very least, they had his side of the family!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! I love feedback, no matter how old the post!