May 24, 2012

Downies - Round 23

Something was wrong, Camilla thought sadly as she gazed as the gallery.  Ever since her father died, she'd been feeling... well... she didn't know the best way to describe it.   Sad? Irritated? Bored!

If she were honest, she would admit that she was bored!

Lost in thought, a plan started to form...

Camilla eyed her oldest daughter and chose her words carefully.  "Honey, you know that your father and I... well... we're different."

"Uh, yeah. I kind of noticed that when I was young, Mom!" Olivia laughed.

"When I was your age, my Mother changed me.  I didn't have a choice.  At first I was mad, but I came to love the feeling.  If you're interested... I could do the same for you."

"You mean? Turn me into a vampire?" Olivia asked, her interest piqued.  "How would it work?"

Camilla shook her head as she came closer.  "I don't think I can describe it.  But, I can show you.  But, I want you to understand that this isn't something you should take lightly.  My mother turned me in hopes of turning me into something evil.  If I turn you, I want it to be because you want it & you'll recognize the power that you would have."

Olivia hardly heard her Mom as she daydreamed about what it would be like to be like her parents! She'd often wondered if it was hereditary & had eagerly watched her older brother, Quentin, to see if he changed.   And now here was her chance!

"I'll do it!" she said, jumping up.  "I'll do it! Right now!"

Camilla started to wave her hands & got a look of intense concentration.

Olivia began to have a few doubts.  "Will it hurt?" she asked weakly before she began feeling strangely detached.

"It shouldn't," Camilla whispered before biting her daughter's neck.

 Olivia felt the transformation begin immediately.

 It was like all of her senses were heightened!  "Wow! This is amazing!" she whispered in awe.  "How do I look?!"

Olivia started to rush towards a mirror to check herself out, but stopped abruptly.  "I'm not going to be to able to see myself, am I?" she asked.

Camilla shook her head.  "No, I'm sorry."

Olivia blew out a breathe.  "Wow. Weird!" This would definitely take some getting used to!

***

Gary could feel Camilla's impatience as though physical waves were beating at him.  Truth be told, he was feeling it, too.  Maybe they'd gone as far as they could as a couple.  There was no spark between them anymore.

They hardly talked at all, let alone touch.  The thought of an eternity of stilted conversation was not his idea of fun!

 But what were they going to do? They couldn't keep on going like this!





As morning light began to stream into the room, Camilla & Gary quietly headed into their chamber. 

But, before he was able to climb into his coffin, Camilla put her hand on his arm, stopping him.

"I have something," she said cryptically.  "I've sensed a sadness in you."

Gary shrugged.

Camilla grabbed his hands.  "Tell me," she said urgently.  "I need to know!"

Gary sighed.  "It's not you. Not really... It's us! It's doing the same thing day in and day out & the thought of doing it forever makes me sick!"

"What if we didn't have to do it forever?"

Gary looked at her suspiciously.  "What do you mean?"

Pulling two vials out of her pocket, she slowly held one out.  "What if we could live during the day again?"

Gary was stunned.  Did she mean... did she want to be human?

"Let's do it together!  It will be another adventure!"

Decision made, Gary lifted his vial up in the air towards Camilla.  "Cheers! To our new adventure!"

Camilla grinned and clinked vials with him.

 Cautiously they sipped the potion.

 Immediately, their bodies began to transform.

Camilla gazed into her husband's eyes as she stroked his cheek.  Gary cupped her cheek in his hand and stared in awe.  He'd never seen Camilla like this - full of color... alive!  It was like an entirely different person was standing in front of him!

Suddenly, Camilla's eyes widened.  "Do you feel that too?" she asked worriedly.

Gary could only nod.  "Do you think something's wrong?"

"I don't know!" she exclaimed.

"Your hair! It's white!" Gary told her.

Camilla gazed down at her hands.  "I'm wrinkly! What's happening?"

Gary bit his lip.  "It seems that we've become our true age!"

Camilla frowned.  She hadn't thought about growing old.  She'd just wanted to live in the light again!  Her stomach growled, catching her off guard.

Gary wrapped his arm around his wife.  "Come on, let's go raid the fridge!"

Isaballa was painting in the garage when the secret entryway to her parent's chamber cracked open.  Startled, she looked up.  "Mom? Dad?!" she whispered when she saw them emerge.  "What happened?!"

Camilla whisked by and Isabella stood by, shocked.

Gary noticed Isabella's fear & patted her arm.  "It's okay. It's us.  Come, have dinner with us & we'll explain."

"But... but..."

Gary held Isabella's hand and led her out of the garage. 

That night, Gary and Camilla went up the stairs, hand in hand to lay in bed.   It had been many years since they had even stepped into this room together.  Somehow even though there were years between them now, it felt as though no time had passed at all.

Sleepily, they fell asleep in each other's arms.

The next morning, Gary & Camilla stood outside, soaking in the morning light.  "It feels different than I remember," Camilla said with wonderment.  "I haven't felt the sun's rays since I was a teenager!"

Gary turned to look at his wife. "Do you regret it?"

Reaching out she squeezed his hand. "Not in the least!"  Turning her face up to the sun, she smiled.  "In fact, I'm actually happy!"

Laughing, she threw herself into Gary's arms and hugged him tightly.  This was exactly what they had needed!  


1 comment:

  1. Wow, now that is some twistiness! Love it! Very creative!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! I love feedback, no matter how old the post!