April 25, 2012

Johnstons - Round 21

Alyssa was so excited that her brother and one of her very best friends were getting married!  She could truly call Heather her sister soon!

 "Caleb!" Heather jumped into his arms.  "I've missed you so much!"

Caleb kissed Heather's neck.  "I've missed you, too!  Today's the big day! Excited?"

 "Oh God! There's so much to get ready! The cake! The dress! Oooo... I don't feel too good."  Heather sank to the floor and rested her head between her knees.

Caleb walked over to pat her hand.  "It's okay baby.  All of that is ready.  We just need to enjoy the day!"

Mentally shaking it off, Heather smiled up at him.  "You're right. I know you're right. Oh man, I'm so nervous!"

Caleb pulled her up into his arms and gave her a comforting hug.  "It's going to be beautiful because I'm marrying you!  All the other stuff is just extra."

Heather smiled.  Caleb certainly had a way with words! 

But he'd been right.  It was a beautiful ceremony.  She didn't even care about any of the other stuff when Caleb slipped the ring on her finger & she became his wife.

The family will miss you Amar Johnston.

Susie called friends over to mourn the loss of her husband, Amar.  She could still remember the day they met so many years ago, so unaware that they would have a wonderful life together.  He'd been a maid & had been dating Veronica Carter.  Sighing, she turned her attention back to the headmaster.

"And so I was saying, there was this big bear standing there in the middle of the road! And if that doesn't beat all, I don't know what will!"

Susie politely excused herself and went to the bedroom to sleep.

Alyssa was worried about her mom.  She was taking Dad's death really hard.  She barely ate & seemed to sleep all the time.  It was like she was losing Mom in slow motion.

Not that Caleb noticed.  He was so busy with Heather and their pregnancy.  It was like they were lost in their own little world.

And in the end, Susie passed away to join her recently deceased husband.

Running outside to feel the cool air on her face, Alyssa sobbed at the unfairness of the world.  To lose both her Mom & Dad so close was so heart-wrenching.  Looking in the window, she saw Heather consoling Caleb as he cried on the couch.

But who would console her? 

She was alone in the world.

Alyssa greeted Marissa with a kiss to the cheek.  "Thanks for coming.  It means a lot to me," she said sadly. 

Marissa hugged her friend.  "How are you holding up?"

"Oh, okay, I suppose. Some days are easier than others."  Susie took a deep breath and glanced away.  It hurt to think about her parents.  Across the room, she saw Lestat brooding.

Excusing herself, she went if she could help.  "I noticed you across the room.  Are you feeling okay?" she asked, concerned.

Lestat sighed.  "I am. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to throw a fit at your Mom's wake.  I just... I'm just lonely.  Oh, you wouldn't understand," he said distractedly. 

Alyssa looked down at her hands, "You'd be surprised."

Lestat looked in her eyes and saw the lonliness in her eyes, too.  "Maybe... maybe we could ease each other's lonliness," he suggested quietly.

"I'd like that," she whispered softly, seeing Lestat in a whole new light.  "I think I'd like that alot."

***

Heather called out to Caleb, "It's time! Hurry!"

 Welcome to the world little Susie Q.

 "Mom, I can't wait for you to meet your granddaughter!" Heather said as she hugged her mother in greeting.

Cheryl Reed smiled.  "I can't wait, dear.  Go bring me my grandbaby!"

Awhile later, Heather was making small talk with her brother, Michael.  "She's sleeping through the night now," she bragged.  Glancing over, she noticed Malcolm waiting to talk to her.

Malcolm cleared his throat.  "Congratulations!"

"Thanks," Heather said.  "Are you and Marian... you know... trying?"

Malcolm smiled.  "Oh you know, if it happens, it happens."

"Well, I'm really happy for you two.  If you'll excuse me." 

Marion glanced around and inwardly groaned.  How could such a big fuss be made over babies? As Malcolm came back over, she leaned forward and whispered, "Let's give it 5 minutes and then get out of here!"

Malcolm shook his head.  "I don't want to just leave.  It would be rude!"  He couldn't believe Marion sometimes.  It's almost like she didn't want a baby at all.  He knew she wanted to wait... but being here and seeing that cute little bundle of joy...

 ...it made him want a baby.

Caleb was excited about his promotion, but he was even more excited that it was Susie Q's birthday.

 They'd invited a few friends and family members for a quiet celebration.

 Happy birthday Susie Q!

Heather sat on the floor and watched as Caleb taught Susie Q a nursery rhyme.  What a perfect little family she had!

1 comment:

Feel free to leave a comment! I love feedback, no matter how old the post!