April 25, 2012

Goss - Round 21

Lily was so excited to go to work at the school.  She knew she was just a glorified babysitter at the local elementary school, but she loved children & she loved being useful!

And working gave her such a sense of purpose! 

(Aw, this is the happiest I've seen Lily in quite awhile!)

Gabe could see how much happier Lily was, she was humming & had a spring in her step.  Feeling like a fool, he shook his head.  Could he really put his happiness before Lily's?  So what if he had to cook a few of his own meals?  Or clean the toilet every other day?

"Lily?" he asked.  She paused as she was walking past him and turned towards him.  "Can you forgive me for being an arrogant jerk?"

Lily looked into his eyes and gave a sad smile.  "I wouldn't say arrogant! Maybe just selfish!" she attempted to tease.  "I just wanted to be happy..."

Gabe held her hands.  "I know.  I'm sorry I didn't understand.  Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?"

Smiling at her husband, Lily felt as though things were finally falling into place for her!

And with a spring in her step, she decided to learn how to juggle it all.

"Breakfast boys!" she called up the stairs.  "It's crepes! You're going to love it!"

"Mom, this is really good!" Cliff said and he scarfed his helping down. 

"You've really outdone yourself this time," Gabe said.

A compliment! Lily thought happily.  Amazing how just a few small words could make her feel so happy and useful here at home!

Enjoying their newfound friendship, Lily & Gabe sat in the livingroom reading.  Suddenly, an article caught her eye.  "Oh God," she said sadly.  "It looks like Levi has passed away."  With her hands shaking, she set the paper aside.  Tears leaked from her eyes.  "No one told me."  Furiously wiping the tear away, she added quietly, "Although I suppose they thought I wouldn't care."

"Do you want to call the house?"

Putting a hand to her head, Lily shook her head.  "I don't know.  I just don't know."

But the desire to reconnect with her children led her to pick up the phone anyways.  She'd been surprised when Arthur had answered and even agreed to meet with her. 

"I'd wanted to tell you," he said after greeting her.  "I know things were unpleasant at the end of your marriage, but I never doubted that you had loved him."

"I loved him and I love all of you."

Arthur nodded his head.  "I know."

Scared to hear the answer, she quietly asked, "Do you think that Sabrina and Alan might..."

Arthur shook his head as he waved his hands. "No, I'm sorry.  But they're still dealing with a lot of hurt.  Gwen has always been their Mom.  They didn't know you..."

Lily played with the ring on her finger.  "I suppose I understand.  Perhaps we could..."

Arthur smiled a tight smile. "I hope you don't get the wrong idea.  I... don't wish you any ill will, but... I'm not prepared to begin a relationship.  It would just be too difficult."

Lily nodded weakly.  "Of course, I understand.  Thank you for coming to talk to me.  Your Father was a wonderful man."

Sadly she watched Arthur walk away.

Going back inside, she collapsed on the couch next to Gabe.

"How did it go?" he asked as he turned the page.

Lilly glanced over at him and sighed.  "Not well.  But, okay."
 
Gabe laid aside his book and pulled Lily into his arms.  "We have it good though, don't we?"

Lilly squeezed his hand.  "Yes. We have it good, too."  Although their marriage hadn't always been spectacular, it had been comfortable and steady.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad Lily has a way to express herself outside of the home. Maybe she can form some kind of link with her other family later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always felt bad for Lily. Maybe her family will come around. Kudos to Arthur for reaching out!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! I love feedback, no matter how old the post!