April 9, 2012

Downies (2)/Russells - Round 21

Victor unsteadily stood up from the couch when he saw Lance walk through the door.  "Son!" he said excitedly.  "I was wondering when you would come back for a visit!"

"Sorry, Dad, can't stay long.  Me & some friends rented a place. It's going to be great! The Grad Pad! I just want to pack a few things!"  Lance patted his Dad on the back and then rushed to his room to throw a few things in his backpack.

 Victor shuffled outside to get the newspaper to read up on the sports.

He never made it that far.
 
 Malcolm awkwardly hugged his old friend.  "So sorry to hear about your, Dad," he said.  Stepping back, he allowed someone else to step in and comfort Lance.

"It'll get easier Lance," Rebeka said as she gave him a big hug.  "Do you need anything?"

Lance just shook his head. He was still in shock that his Dad was gone.  He didn't even know Dad was in bad health.  He should've paid more attention.

 Hours later, he sat in bed staring straight ahead.  "I didn't even ask how he was doing, Rebeka," he said sadly.  "I was too focused on getting the hell out of dodge."

Rebeka patted his hand.  "It's nobody's fault. You didn't know he wasn't well."

Shaking his head, he clenched his fists.  "I should've known."  Zoning out for a few minutes, Rebeka waited, wishing there was something more she could do.

Abruptly, Lance turned towards her and said, "Thanks for hanging out Rebeka.  I've really needed a friend."

"What are friends for?" she quipped, patting his hand.

It didn't take much longer for Lance to fall asleep.  Rebeka pulled his shoes off and pulled the blanket over him.  She hoped he slept well.

Grabbing her purse, she tiptoed out of the room.

"You're here bright and early," Lance said as he opened the door the next morning.

"I thought you might want some breakfast," she said, holding up the bag of kolaches.  "I noticed you didn't eat much yesterday & probably weren't in the mood to cook today."

Lance grabbed the bag.  "I'm starving!"

They ate together in companionable silence, both lost in their own thoughts.

Lance broke the silence, "I'm sorry I passed out on you."

Rebeka waved his concerns away.  "It's okay. I'm glad you were able to sleep. It must've been a rough night."

Lance nodded and put his hand to his head. "Man, it sucks." Pausing, he asked, "Do you think you could stay tonight until I fall asleep again? It's nice having someone around. I'm not used to the emptiness..."

"Sure!"

It took longer for Lance to fall asleep that night. They'd wound up talking late into the night. Rebeka had every intention of getting up right after Lance's eyes closed, but she was so tired!  Her eyelids drifted shut.  "Just for a few minutes," she told herself.

Hours later, Lance rolled over and cuddled against the warm body in his bed.  Still half-asleep, he smelled the hair tickling his nose.  Mmmm... smells like vanilla, he thought groggily.  Wrapping arm around her waist, he pulled her closer and started to kiss her neck.

Rebeka woke up to Lance kissing her so tenderly.  Wrapping her arms around his neck, she threw caution to the wind.

Reality came crashing a short while later after Rebeka realized Lance had fallen back asleep.  Feeling ridiculous, she jumped out of bed and hurried into the other room.

"Rebeka," Lance said as he hurried after her.  He thought it would have been easier to pretend he was asleep than to see the disappointment in her eyes.  But, the moment she scurried out of bed, he knew that it would be far worse to let her leave.

Rebeka grabbed her purse from the kitchen counter and whirled around.  "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to fall asleep!" she said quickly.

"I know," Lance said, "But..."

Shaking her head, Rebeka wrung her hands, "I should've known you were asleep when you were kissing me! I can't believe I did that!"

Lance reached out to grab her hand, "Rebeka, I know..."

She pulled back and covered her eyes with her hands.  "I am so incredibly embarrassed and ashamed! I don't blame you if you never speak to me again!"

Lance figured he wasn't going to get a word in edge-wise without drastic measures.  Grabbing her, he wrapped his arms around her and kissed her.

Stunned into silence, she looked at him with questions brimming in her eyes.

"I liked it, Rebeka.  I want to do it again.  Soon...  And often..." he said.

Lance watched Rebeka sleep & thought how amazing it was that they'd been friends all these years & had never known how right they were for each other.  She soothed him in a way no one else had.


"Marry me, Rebeka," he asked her soon afterward.  "Let's build a family together."

 They didn't need a fancy party or expensive gifts.  They just needed each other.

Soon afterward, Rebeka was happy to tell Lance that she was pregnant with twins:

 Hilary
 and Stephanie!

 Time flew by & soon the girls were ready to be toddlers!

 Hilary
 and Stephanie.


1 comment:

Feel free to leave a comment! I love feedback, no matter how old the post!