February 24, 2012

Steeles - Round 20

Mandy invited Kevin McMillan over to see if there was still chemistry between them.

"Mandy, I really like you, but I feel as though I should be honest with you."

Mandy squirmed in her seat. "By all means, I want us to be honest with each other."

Kevin took a deep breath. "It's just... I just lost my wife. And I don't know if I'm ready for another serious relationship."  He paused.  "Is that... okay... with you?" he asked cautiously.

"Oh yeah! I mean, why rush into things, right?" Mandy exclaimed.  "Seriously! We're just two friends, having a good time! We don't have to do... you know... other stuff..."

Mandy made a face as she walked to her room to get ready for bed.  So much for happily ever after with him, she thought sadly.  But still.  He'd lost his wife and unborn baby.  You didn't just get over that.  Shivering, she rubbed her hands up and down her arms.  She couldn't even imagine losing someone you loved...

But...

Overnight her world turned upside down.

She lost both of her parents within days of each other.  She truly believed her Mom died of a broken heart.   It some ways, it was a nice thought to try to hold on to - that Mason & Evelyn had loved each other much that they couldn't live without each other...

But...

It didn't help very much...

Mandy heard knocking at the front door & put her tissue down on the side table.  Shuffling to the door, she called out, "Who is it?" as she peeped through the glass.

"It's me, Kevin."

Mandy cringed and glanced down at her robe. She knew her eyes were probably puffy from all the crying.  And when was the last time she brushed her teeth?!  Running a hand quickly through her hair, she opened the door.

Kevin pulled her into a hug.  "I came as soon as I heard about your parents. I'm so sorry!" he told her as he stroked her hair.  "Let me know what I can do."

Mandy rested her forehead on his shoulder and sobbed.  "I just miss them so much!"

Kevin didn't even cringe when she blew her nose on his sweater.  "I know you do. I know you do," he comforted her.  "Come on, let's go inside. I'll make you some tea."

Mandy stepped back and felt a wave of emotion flow through her.  This man might've said that he didn't want a relationship - but here he was - supporting her in her time of need.

Slowly, she shook her head, "No..."

Kevin looked at her, confused, as he put his hand at the small of her back to lead her inside. "No tea? It helps soothe... why are you shaking your head again?"

Mandy grabbed his hand and led him to the bedroom.  "I don't want tea from you."
Kevin sat up in the bed shortly after Mandy fell asleep.  How the tables have turned, he thought as he pulled his pants on in the dark, trying not to wake her.

This was exactly the situation he was trying to avoid when they'd talked about just being friends.

Sighing, he grabbed the kleenex from the bedside table and placed it closer to her.

Hopefully she didn't hate him.

Mandy wasn't ready to go back to work yet. She wasn't ready to face the real world yet. So, she spent a lot of time flipping through the channels, in particular cooking channels.  She hadn't tried it yet, but she bet she could whip up a mean lobster thermidor after watching Cooking with Crumplebottom's show so many times.

Maybe tomorrow she'd be ready to get back to living...


McMillans - Round 20               Steeles - Round 21



1 comment:

  1. Awww poor Mandy. Was Kevin using her? Or is there something there? Or did he plant a seed. hehehe

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! I love feedback, no matter how old the post!