November 20, 2011

Steeles - Round 13

Mason splashed water on his face and stared at his reflection.  "Get it together," he told himself.  He felt ridiculous.  Evelyn was with Seth.  And he was with Lilly Royce.

Natalie threw a big birthday party for little Kate.  She glanced at Lilly who looked extremely uncomfortable amongst the group.  When their eyes met, Natalie smiled and waved.  Feeling annoyed, Natalie went to find Mason.  She found him in his room.

"Mason!" she said, thoroughly annoyed.  "What are you doing in here? It's Kate's birthday! And I invited Lilly Royce! She's sitting out there all by herself!"

Mason smiled wanely.  "I just don't feel very well right now."

"So?" Natalie demanded.  "Go tell Lilly you don't feel well and tell Kate happy birthday! They're both waiting for you!"

Mason grumbled as he got out of bed.  "Make me feel worse, why don't you?"

Natalie shook her head.  "What's the matter with you? Not a week ago you were so excited to be with Lilly, but now you're acting like don't want to see her!"

Mason just shook his head and walked out the door.  "It's nothing, Nat."

Natalie followed him out & felt her eyes start to cloud up with tears.  It must be the pregnancy hormones, she thought.  They made her so darn weepy!

Mason waved at Lilly and then ducked into Kate's room.  "Happy birthday!" he told her.  "What are you doing in here alone?"

Kate shrugged.  "I don't really know anyone out there," she said quietly.

"Yeah? But everyone out there has known you since you were a little baby!"

Kate just shrugged.  "Hey, Uncle Mason?  Am I going to like school tomorrow?"

Mason put his arm around Kate and hugged her.  "Yeah, you're going to love school! And you're going to make lots of good friends!"

"How do you know?"

Mason ruffled her hair, "Because you're such a sweetheart!"

Mason was hoping to finish his breakfast in peace without Natalie asking any questions, but he wasn't so lucky.  She'd been harping on his the last few days to call Lilly.

"Natalie! Get your nose out of my love life!" he snapped.

Natalie huffed.  "I can't help it! She calls all the time to talk and you won't return her calls. She's asking me what's the matter and I don't know what to tell her! If you don't want to see her anymore - tell her!"

Mason gulped down the rest of his cereal.  "I'll deal with it."

"When?" Natalie demanded.

"I said I'd handle it."

Mason threw his dishes in the sink and stormed off to work. He wished Natalie would just drop it! He didn't know what he wanted!

Work flew by in a rush and Mason was pumped when his boss came in with a hefty bonus check and a promotion for him.  He came home and was disappointed that everyone was asleep.  Since he wasn't anywhere close to ready to sleep, he picked up the phone and called up Evelyn.

"Hey, I just got great news! Do you want to open up a bottle of wine with me?" Mason asked.

Mason gussied up in the mirror next to the door and tried to calm his racing nerves.  "I'm going to play this real smooth," he told himself.  "We're just friends  having a drink, that's all..."

Every thought flew out of his brain when he saw her standing there in the moonlight.  Striding towards her purposefully, he yanked her close and kissed her deeply.

"I should say I'm sorry, but I'm not. I think I love you, Evelyn.  And I think this is the start of something wonderful," he said as he held her hands.

Evelyn squeezed his hands and looked into his eyes.  "I think I love you, too," she admitted.  "What are we going to do?"

***

Just then Waylan ran out the front door with his shirt on backwards and inside out.  "Hurry, the baby's coming! We have to go see the baby!"

Mason and Evelyn glanced at each other and then rushed inside.
Natalie held little Jenny in her arms and snuggled her close.  "Isn't she beautiful?" she asked Waylan, smiling.  Then, she glanced over to Mason, who had his arm slung around Evelyn.  Ah, she thought, so that explains everything.

The day after he kissed Evelyn, he'd called up Lilly and explained that he couldn't commit to a relationship right now.  She hadn't taken it very well.  But, Mason had never been happier.

He could feel in his heart that Evelyn was perfect for him.  He'd never felt this strong about anyone else.

It felt natural when he dropped to one knee and proposed to her.

She had shrieked "yes" and then jumped into his arms.

Lilly stormed across the yard and slapped Mason, quivering with rage. "So this is why you couldn't see me anymore?" she sobbed.

Mason stepped in front of Evelyn and tried to pacify Lilly.  "I'm sorry.  I didn't mean for it to happen like that," he tried to explain.

Lilly shoved him out of the way and poked Evelyn.  "You're a home wrecker!" she accused.

Evelyn stepped back and held her hands up, "I'm sorry. I know this is hard..." she started to say when Lilly yelled and launched onto Evelyn, pulling her hair and kicking her.  Mason tried to grab Lilly around her waist and pull her off, but she elbowed him in the head and knocked him to the side.  Evelyn didn't need any help though, she managed to subdue Lilly in seconds.

"Calm down and I'll let you up!" Evelyn said as Lilly sputtered on the ground.  "Calm down... Look... I'm sorry things didn't work out for you and Mason, but you can't run around attacking people."

Lilly just glared and stalked off to her van, hat askew.

Mason reached out and brushed the dirt off of her face.  "I'm sorry. This is all my fault," he said.

Evelyn stroked his cheek.  "It's both of our fault.  I... I haven't told Seth yet, either. I know he won't take it well.  But, we'll get this out of the way and then our fairytale will begin.  Can we just go to bed and forget everyone else exists for the time being?"

Mason held her hand and led her to the bedroom.

No one was surprised when Mason insisted on a quick wedding with just family and friends.  He was so in love with Evelyn that he said he couldn't imagine a day passing without her being Mrs. Steele.

"With this ring..."

***

The weeks flew by and soon it was time for Jenny's birthday.  Natalie threw a big party to celebrate her little girl's big day. 

She loved how well her kids got along together.  Kate spent hours playing with Jenna and singing nursery rhymes.

But, she thought it was probably time for them to give the newlyweds some space.  Her sister, Lisa, had moved out to give Waylan & her time to enjoy being together and now it was time to pass the torch on to Mason.


1 comment:

  1. Well at least Mason is with the right girl now. Loved the chick fight....lol

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! I love feedback, no matter how old the post!