November 18, 2011

Carters (5) - Round 12

Roxie loved having a Nanny. It meant someone was always there to watch the kids when she was... otherwise engaged...

She grew bolder.  Danny hadn't caught on yet and she knew wasn't very subtle.  Maybe he knew, but didn't care, she thought.  And why didn't he notice?

 "This is an awesome car!" Rod said when they slipped onto the leather seats.  "He fixed it up himself?"

Roxie pretended to yawn.  "You'd think you were more interested in the seats than... this..."  Roxie leaned over and began kissing him.

"What the hell?!" Danny yelled when he walked into the garage and saw Roxie in the backseat with some stranger.  "Get the hell out of my car!"

Roxie scrambled out and said, "Just let me explain!"

Danny shoved his hands through his hair.  "Jesus! In MY car?!"

Roxie reached out to touch his shoulder. "It didn't mean anything.." She glanced over Danny's shoulder and saw that Rod was long gone.

"In my CAR!"

Roxie fumed.  "You sound more upset that I breached your sacred car than that you caught me having sex!"

Danny pointed to his chest. "MY car!"

Roxie threw her hands up in the air.  "I can't even talk to you right now!"

She stormed into the livingroom and then stopped up short when she saw her kids.  She felt Danny behind her and heard his breath catch.

 Later that night after he knew the kids were asleep, Danny went to find Roxie.  He skipped the preliminaries and went straight for the attack, "How do I even know they're mine!" he demanded.

Roxie crossed her arms over her chest.  "What do you mean!"

"You know what I mean. Is there a chance they're not mine?"

Roxie stared at the floor.  "There's a chance..." she said softly.

Danny felt the ground shift from under his feet.  He felt light-headed.  He put his hands up to his eyes and felt the tears.  "Oh God.." he murmured.

Roxie felt her heart twist when she heard that groan.  She hadn't really stopped to think about the kids or Danny... she'd just needed... who knew...

"So... what do you want to do?" she asked.  "You don't want a divorce, do you?"

Danny's heart dropped again.  Divorce. It's probably what he should do.  "Isn't that what you want? Why else would you cheat?" he demanded.

Roxie stared at the floor.  "I don't know..."

"You don't know if you want a divorce or you don't know why you cheated?"

Roxie peeked at Danny.  "I mean I don't know why... I want to be married. I... I love you..."

Danny exhaled. "Well you have a funny way of showing it."

"Will you let me make it up to you? Can we fix it?" Roxie asked.  "I guess I didn't know how far I had strayed until... you know... you found me..."

Danny hung his head. "I don't know. I really don't know.  Let's give it some time. In the meantime - no guys over. If I catch another guy around here, I'm gone!"

"I promise!" Roxie said.

Roxie was bored silly.  She counted down the hours until her job started.  The kids were at school all morning and there wasn't anything good on tv.  But, she'd promised Danny she'd turn over a new leaf and she was trying. 

Not that it seemed to make a difference.  Danny didn't want much to do with her.  Roxie guessed it was a good thing he hadn't asked for a divorce yet, but she was waiting for the day that he kicked her out for good.

Tyler watched his parents struggle.  He'd try to ask Dad what was going on, but Dad had just said that sometimes parents had grown-up stuff to work out.  Whatever!

Danny got a promotion at work, but the triumph seemed hollow since his personal life was in the toilet.  He still hadn't decided whether or not to forgive Roxie. But, he knew she was trying to make up for it.  She'd stopped entertaining guys & had tried to be more active with the kids lives.  He just wondered if he could trust her.

"I brought you a rose," Roxie said when she saw him at breakfast the next morning. "I heard through the grapevine that you got a promotion.  I just wanted to let you know that I'm proud of you!"

Danny was touched.  Gathering her up in a hug, he held her tight.  They stayed that way for the longest time, until the kids came running down the stairs.  Danny pushed Roxie's hair back from her face.  "We have to tell them."

Roxie frowned.  "No we don't."

"We do.  They deserve to know the truth. They're old enough now."

 "Kids," Roxie started to say, but stopped when her voice cracked.  Helplessly, she looked at Danny.

"We have something to tell you.  It's not going to be easy..."

2 comments:

  1. Poor danny and poor kids! But Roxie seems wanting to be forgiven and sicerely sorry, so... I hope they can live together and make peace!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! I love feedback, no matter how old the post!