September 2, 2011

Steele - Round 1

There was nothing like a lazy day, Max thought to himself.  Life here in Paradise Bay was so less hectic than life had been back in the city.  His new position at the local business complex started tomorrow morning.  He'd gone to meet some new neighbors in the morning and was spending his evening playing a crossword puzzle.  He'd even spent some time toying with his pet project - to write a how-to guide for earning money.


The next morning, he opened the door and almost ran into a woman standing by his door.  Startled, she dropped the paper she'd picked up.

"Oh goodness!" she exclaimed, putting her hand over her heart.  "You scared me!"

"I'm sorry. Would you like me to go back in and knock before coming out?" he suggested as he pointed towards the door.

The lady just laughed and covered her mouth.  Straightening up, she winced.  "I'm so sorry. You caught me in the act. I was reading your paper," she said guiltily.  "I was just walking by and saw it and thought I'd look at my horoscope."  Max noticed she kept blushing.


"No harm done," Max said as he locked up and they started down the walkway.  "By the way, what'd it say?" he asked.

The lady glanced at him, perplexed.  "What did what say?"

"Your horoscope?"

"Oh!" she said, "The horoscope! Oh. It said to stop trying to look at other people's newspapers because you'd be horribly embarrassed!"

Max laughed.  Seeing his carpool pull up, he said, "Well, this is my ride.  I'm Max, by the way."

Blushing, she said, "I'm Alice."

"Nice to meet you, Alice," Max said, shaking her hand.  "Maybe we'll meet over another newspaper one day."  Then, he winked at her and hopped in the car.

Alice stared after him.  Now way was she going to tell him that her horoscope had been that romance would bloom!

That evening, Max found himself staring at the clock and pacing around his livingroom.  His relaxed vibe had disappeared. He felt caged... restless.  Finally, he grabbed up the phone and called his neighbor, Stacy.  She seemed like she wouldn't mind going out and having a good time.  Sure enough, Stacy answered and had readily accepted his invitation out.  Grabbing his keys, he walked outside to meet her.  Stunned, he saw Alice walking down the sidewalk.

"Hi! Sorry I took my newspaper in.  Should I bring it back out?" he joked.

Alice just blushed and asked, "I don't think I am ever going to live that down, am I?"

"I'm just teasing," Max told her as he saw Stacy walk up.  She was wearing thigh-high boots.  He let his gaze trail her legs.  Alice saw Max staring at Stacy and awkwardly said, "Well. It was nice running into you again. I should be going."

Max tore his gaze away from Stacy's legs and distractedly kissed Alice's cheek goodbye.  "It was nice seeing you again." Then, he turned to Stacy.  "You ready to go?" he asked, clapping his hands?"

"Ready!" Stacy giggled.
***
Well, that went went, Max told himself as he let himself inside.  It hadn't been all that bad. Stacy had insisted on going to the local clothing store and trying on three different outfits, all the while insinuating that he should pay for it.  After dodging that bullet, they'd wandered over to the park where she'd kept making comments about kissing in the moonlight and how romantic it was.  But, the edgy feeling was gone, so maybe he would ask her out again.


Hearing his trash can crash against the ground shook Max out of his reverie.  Running outside, he glanced around to see if it was kids knocking the can over.  He was surprised to find a stray dalmation digging through the trash for food.

"Aw, poor thing," Max said. "Come here, boy. It's okay. I won't hurt you." Max held his hand out and waited as the dog sniffed his hand.  He stayed outside rubbing the dog's belly and playing with him.

"Do you have an owner, boy?" Max asked.  Max had noticed there was no collar. He also could tell that the dog needed food.  "Come on inside, I'll see if I can find you something to eat." Max led the dog inside and put some chili in a bowl.  "That will have to do tonight. I'll go to the grocery store tomorrow."


Round 1 Cenus               Steeles - Round 2

7 comments:

  1. It should be Alice...and adopt the dog. I am quite interested in Stacy tho. She seems like she could kick up quite a stir in the neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as I saw that cute dalmation, I knew Max had to adopt him. There were QUITE a few "rub belly's" involved that night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. giggle@ giving chili to a dog. That's a brave fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, were the rub bellies strictly for the Dalmation, or did Stacy get some too??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Max was too scared to even attempt a tummy rub on Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see a future for Alice and a dalmatian!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww....the dalmatian is cute! I hope he's adopted....and I hope Alice is in. :D

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! I love feedback, no matter how old the post!