September 9, 2011

Carters (2) - Round 6


The wedding was beautiful. Jansen and Carlye were surrounded by family and friends.  Alvin was Jansen's best man. Carlye was so excited to be starting a life with Jansen. Together they would build something solid.

After exchanging their vows, Carlye ran over to Alvin to give him a big hug.  "Thank you," she whispered in his ear.  "Without you, this never would've been possible.  You're the best."

Alvin squeezed her hand back.  "You make a beautiful bride, Mrs. Carter."

As soon as the last guest left, Alvin and Carlye raced each other to the bedroom and jumped under the covers.  The honeymoon period had begun.

But, slowly reality sank back in.  Carlye got her dream job in the intelligence field and was quickly racking up promotions.  Jansen kept looking through the classifieds, trying to find something that he wanted to do, but nothing ever jumped out at him.

So Jansen's life fell into a daily routine:

The morning nag:   "Have you looked for a job today, sweetie?" Carlye would ask. 

Followed by some down time on the couch with the sports channel.

Ending with the daily phone call from his Mom asking him to talk some sense into his siblings.

 Jansen was ecstatic when he got the security job gig.  Carlye had been so supportive and so understanding, but he was glad to start feeling like he was chipping in instead of just using.

 He started working out more to work off those pounds he'd gained sitting in front of the tv.

"I'm going to go shower real quick and then run to work, baby," Jansen said as he pecked Carlye's cheek.

"Mmm.." Carlye had murmured.  "I love it when you come over to kiss me when you're all sexy and sweaty."  She wrapped her arms around him and started kissing him.

"Dang it," Jansen yelled as he threw his clothes on in a hurry.  "I'm going to be late for work and I stink!"

Carlye just threw on her bathrobe and walked him to the door.  "I'll see you tonight baby!" she called as she waved goodbye.  His partner honked hello and she smiled.

"Get inside, woman! Quit making my partner jealous!" Jansen called back.

Laughing, Carlye went inside to get dressed.  Now that Jansen had a few promotions, their schedules were often opposite of each other. So, she started to look for things to do to keep busy. One thing she loved to do was paint.  And she'd been working on a special project for Jansen.

 "Can I open my eyes, Carlye?"

"Not yet," Carlye said as she led him through the house.

"Ouch! Dang it! You're supposed to steer me around the furniture, not into it!" Jansen groused as he caught his balance. "My toe hurts now! Is it bleeding?"


Carlye giggled.  "Stop being a big baby," she said.  "There. You can open them now!"

Jansen completely forgot about his toe.  "Did you do this baby?" he asked.  "It's beautiful!"

 Carlye smiled.  "I thought it came out really well," she said, staring at her canvas.  "I just wanted to put something up on the wall and I thought you'd like it."

"Like it?" Jansen asked.  "I love it. You're so amazing. And talented."

Clearing her throat, Carlye decided to bring up a touchy subject.  "I know you wanted to wait until we hit the tops of our careers to have kids, but I just thought that we could reconsider..." Carlye trailed off.

Jansen was already shaking his head.  "I'm sorry Carlye. I just don't think I'm ready. Just thinking about it makes me feel... trapped.. nervous... hell, I don't know.  I just don't even want to talk about it!"

Carlye grabbed his hands and held him.  "But why? Why don't you even want to talk about it? I thought you wanted kids!"

Jansen grabbed his hands back and started pacing around the room.  "I do. You know I do. I just want to wait, that's all!"

The phone ringing interrupted their argument.

"Don't answer it, Jansen!" Carlye said.

"It might be work."


"You know it's not," she said, upset.

Picking up the phone, he spoke into the phone.  "Mom, no. Now's not a good time..." He paused, listening.   "I'm sorry... Yeah... Have Sally call me tomorrow."  Hanging up he looked at Carlye and threw his hands up in the air.

"And you wonder why I don't want to have kids!"

Carlye shook her head.  "Us having kids has nothing to do with your Mom.  Just... think about it, okay?"

3 comments:

  1. what is wrong with Jansen. Doesn't he know if he had his own kids it would be different?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand Jansen O.O. Different or not, he was sorrounded by kids screaming and playing and messing around for so much time that he's traumatized. Maybe later he will want *one* kid?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jansen took care of his siblings all the time growing up, so I can't really blame him...but if he wants kids...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! I love feedback, no matter how old the post!